Global Perspectives on Democracy
The Center for Politics began international programming in August 2006 when it hosted the International Youth Democracy Summit and in March 2009 formally established the Global Perspectives on Democracy (GPD) program.
Designed to foster citizen-to-citizen dialogue among the United States and other democratic societies, GPD hosts international politics and civic engagement related public events and in partnership with the U.S. Department of State and other non-governmental organizations identifies groups of international citizens to participate in exchanges or workshops either in the U.S. or their home country. This interactive program which includes groups of all ages from high school student leaders to high level government officials promotes core aspects of citizen engagement within democratic and emerging democratic societies. GPD enables participants to:
- Build civic participation skills and encourage public advocacy through peaceful and productive means
- Identify effective tools for and avenues of civic engagement
- Promote strategic and policy dialogue between government practitioners and marginalized populations
- Establish networking opportunities among democracy outreach programs
Current Exchanges and Events:
- His Excellency Sergey I. Kislyak, Ambassador of the Russian Federation to the U.S.
- Youth Ambassadors Program with South America 2014 – Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Ecuador, and Peru
- U.S. Youth Ambassadors Program with Argentina & Chile 2014
Concluded Exchanges and Events:
- Youth Ambassadors Program with South America 2012-13 - Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, and Peru
- U.S. –Afghanistan Professional Partnership Program (Charlottesville & Kabul)
- The Absence of War is Not Peace: Chandrika Kumaratunga, President of Sri Lanka from 1994-2005
- Study of the U.S. Institute for Student Leaders on New Media – Bangladesh, India, and Sri Lanka
- U.S. Department of State Lecture Series in Rome, Italy: Prof. Larry Sabato, Dir. of the U.Va. Center for Politics
- Sri Lanka Professional Exchange (Charlottesville & Sri Lanka)
- International Youth Democracy Summit
Like our Facebook page! Stay connected with The U.Va. Center for Politics Global Perspectives on Democracy.
Global Perspectives of Democracy continually evaluates new exchange and event opportunities. Contact Daman Irby, Director of Global Initiatives, at email@example.com or 434-243-8475 for additional information.